Translate


Saturday, November 18, 2017

UC Irvine: Whatever Happened to New Narratives?

Image result for sleeping anteater
"New narratives"


Last April, I attended an event at UC Irvine entitled, "Standing Rock Is Everywhere". It was part of an initiative at UCI called "New Narratives".  Using the Standing Rock Indian reservation controversy over the North Dakota pipeline as a starting point, the event consisted of a panel of malcontents complaining about the state of affairs in Amerika (sic). At the conclusion of the event, I asked one of the organizers if they had-or planned to-invite speakers with a different point of view. I was referred to Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs Thomas Parham, who was running the program. I thus wrote to Dr Parham and posed the same question. I even passed along a couple of suggested speakers like Thomas Sowell and Larry Elder, both African-American conservatives. Dr Parham replied that he would pass the suggestions onto the selection committee.

Today, I checked the New Narratives website to see what they have been up to.

Apparently nothing. There seemingly have been no events since the one above.

Was it something I said?

No comments: