Translate


Thursday, May 31, 2007

The UCI "Intifada" Update and clarification

In the last few days, I have reported on an anti-Israel demonstration at UC Irvine hosted by the Muslim Student Union (MSU). I have described the presence of an individual carrying a sign stating " Death to Israel-Death to America", and dressed as an Arab with his face masked.I also sent a letter to the campus nespaper condemning the above display.

Since then, I have been contacted by 2 UCI students who inform me that the person in question was not a Muslim student, rather a counter-demonstrator masquerading as a Muslim. One student sent me photos of the person (which are linked).

If this is true, then I must acknowledge the truth and help clarify the situation. If indeed, this person was masquerading as a Muslim then this is also a dispicable and irresponsible act and must be condemned regardless of who he was and what his motives were. This sign could have ignited what was already a volatile situation. My fellow teacher who crossed paths with this character has no idea who he was, but felt threatened and immediately got the hell out the area. It may have been a spoof, but this person did not see it as such.

So who was this individual? Well, one photo shows him being questioned by the campus police-who apparently let him continue! That is free speech on our university campuses! Hopefully, he was ID'd by the police, and the question can be resolved as to his identity (hopefully).

I have sent another letter to the campus newspaper with this information. The MSU was guilty of many things during this outrageous demonstration last week, but if they were not part of this sign, that must be clarified and acknowledged in the name of fairness and accuracy. My other comments about their choice of speakers stand.

No comments: